The use of PPE (personal protective equipment) such as disposable facemasks and latex gloves has become a key tool to prevent the spread of disease, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, as a result of extensive consumption and mismanagement of such materials, there has been a nationwide rise in littering of discarded masks and gloves in streets, parks, parking lots, and other areas.
Littered items migrate into the watershed, pollute the ocean, and harm marine life. To minimize this, there is a need to develop and implement innovative ways to manage and recycle PPE in order to reduce their negative impacts on the environment.
Triumvirate Environmental provides a sustainable PPE recycling program to keep masks and gloves out of landfills and to protect human health and well-being.
How the PPE Recycling Program Works
For the sustainable PPE recycling program, we can accept disposable face masks, nitrile gloves, and latex gloves. Our service includes:
- PPE box delivery: Make sure your facility is equipped with proper PPE recycling boxes. Our team can assist you with finding the appropriate PPE disposal boxes based on your company’s size and number of employees.
- Waste collection: Once the boxes are filled with eligible items, your boxes should be fully sealed with adhesive tape and stored securely before requesting a collection. Please do not mix other items within the accepted list to avoid contamination. The boxes and enclosed items must be completely dry prior to shipping.
- Shipping to a certified recycling facility: We will collect and transport your PPE waste for recycling.
- Treatment process (waste to energy): One of the best options to manage infectious PPE waste is incineration technology. Incineration can destroy viruses originated from PPE in high temperature as well as reduce the amount of waste. Heat produced from waste incinerators can be used as a source of renewable energy, either to heat buildings or to produce electricity.
- Recovery certification and annual report: Our clients can request a certificate of destruction and annual report with detailed information of waste shipments, including weight and type of material, and a certification that the waste was converted into energy.
Contact us for more information about our sustainable solutions tailored to your business needs!